Why You Should Do Hot Yoga
Think yoga, at a workout pace, in a humid and enclosed room that's set to 95-100 degrees... on purpose. You're probably thinking, why? But trust me, it's more enjoyable than you're imagining. And I'll give you a list of reasons why it's actually beneficial for you too!
1. Improves Your Flexibility
Being in high temperatures causes your muscles to be warmer and allows you to stretch deeper than if your muscles were cold in a non-heated space. This gives you a greater range of motion, and with consistent practice, this will greatly improve your flexibility!
2. Burn More Calories!
If you like low-impact forms of exercise but still want a high-calorie workout, try out hot yoga! The average person can burn up to 400 calories within a one-hour hot power Vinyasa flow class.
3. Reduces Stress
All forms of exercise are a great way to reduce stress in your mind and body with endorphin chemical releases. Hot yoga is another great natural form of stress release while exercising your body and challenging your mind by balancing the heat and concentrating on the poses.
4. Eases Depression
Yoga is a well-known technique for relaxing your mind, body, and spirit. This can be a natural technique for easing depression symptoms. Studies show the efficacy of using yoga as a form of therapy for these symptoms.
5. Strengthens Your Heart and Lungs!
Striking different yoga poses in high heat can give your heart, lungs, and muscles a more challenging workout than doing the same poses in a lower temperature! You can also grow your lung capacity since the ancient practice of yoga is about controlling your breath and becoming more mindful of it. Most yoga instructors will incorporate breathing exercises into their classes.
6. Nourishes Your Skin
Last but not least, hot yoga is beneficial for your skin health. Comparable to the skin benefits of saunas, the high temperatures improve circulation, bringing oxygen to your skin cells. The intense amount of sweating also detoxes your body from the inside out, washing away toxins and purifying your skin.
Some Reminders When Practicing:
- Stay hydrated! With the high temperatures, you will be sweating more and lose liquids in your body faster. Make sure to take water breaks often and consider using an electrolyte mix for extra hydration.
- If you ever feel dizzy or lightheaded, leave the class immediately and let someone know. The high temperatures may not be suitable for everyone!
- Stay loose and have fun! Do your thing like no one's watching! (Because no one is).
- Try to enjoy the heat, imagine that it's the sun's rays shining on you.